How to Make Star Light Minis
So many people showed up ready to make, it was great. And almost everybody who tried the star, stuck it out. Even though it was much more complicated than I originally thought and my directions were sketchy at best.
You can get the star light mini template here (pdf). And the directions to make it below:
1. Wrap the center of a piece of 22 gauge wire (around 5 - 7 inches long) around a Christmas tree light bulb
2. Place the template over a manila folder and using a nail, punch a hole in each of the dots. Make sure to press hard enough to go through both sides of the folder.
3. Using an exacto knife or scissors, cut out the star and the backing. See the template for details
4. Using a hole punch, punch a hole in the center of the star and the backing.
5. Bend the wire, using needle nose pliers, to match up to the two small holes on the backing
6. Using double sided tape, tape the backing to the star. Make sure to line up the punched holes. Check to see that a Christmas tree light bulb fits in the hole. Put this aside for now.
7. Using an exacto knife, score the outside bends on the folder. See the template for details. (If you are making two stars at the same time, now is a good time to score the outside bends on the second half of the folder.)
8. Open up the folder and score the inside bends. See the template for details. (If you are making two stars at the same time, now is a good time to score the inside bends on the second half of the folder.)
9. Using and exact knife or scissors, cut out the remaining pieces. See the template for details. (If you are making two stars at the same time, use and exacto knife and punch hard to make sure you cut through both sides of the folder.)
10. Break the bends.
11. Using clear tape, tape the two folded pieces together.
12. Using double sided tape, tape the inside of one flap on each of the star points.
13. Attach the taped flaps to the star/backing/wire assembly.
14. Using a hot glue gun, run a small bead of glue on the taped flap (one at a time), and secure the other flap down. Do this for each star point.
Want to thank Jessica, Dess, and Molly for making this happen.